Friday, November 16, 2012

Storymasters

Last week I went to a four-day workshop called Storymasters. Donald Maass, James Scott Bell, and Christoper Vogler each took a day to instruct a room of about 95 writers their specific storytelling philosophies, and on the final day we all came together to deconstruct The Hunger Games.

I really enjoyed the workshop and came away with over 20,000 words of notes and a few new friends. Technically I didn't need to take quite SO many notes, but it helps me learn when I can transcribe the audio.

Since then I've been to the dentist and to the vet and I've been hacking away at my newest pile of words. After almost two years of studying stories, I know just enough to be dangerous--with a side effect of gnawing insecurity. Most of what I do now is fight myself to get the words out, and once they're out I get swept up in revision. Revision is my favorite part.

So that's my process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the story sale, Folly!

Your time management skills are tremendous -- all these things you do, places you go, and still you remain so productive on the page.

Darren

Folly Blaine said...

Thanks, Darren! I really appreciate your kind words.

I've actually been beating myself up lately for not being as productive as I should be, so that's nice to hear.