Tuesday, May 28, 2013

New Orleans and the World Horror Convention

In about two weeks I'm heading to New Orleans for The Bram Stoker Awards Weekend 2013 incorporating the World Horror Convention. This will be my second trip to NOLA and I'll be arriving early to do some sightseeing. Last time I ate and drank as much as I could in three days. This time I've made arrangements to ride on an airboat in a swamp, take a historical tour of a plantation, and go on a ghost tour around the French Quarter.

I'm treating this trip as my consolation prize for not getting into the workshop I wanted to get into this summer. Should I admit that in public? Eh. I'm human.

And then there's the convention. I've been looking forward to this con since I heard about the guest lineup and location last year. The fact that I'll be sharing a room with my writer friend Eliza is just gravy.

The other thing I'm excited about--besides the panels and the workshops and the people--is that the anthology Dark Tales of Lost Civilizations (includes my story "British Guiana, 1853") has been nominated for a Bram Stoker Award, and the winner will be announced at the banquet. I'll be at the banquet to root on the editor and see what happens.

If this con is anything like last year's World Horror Convention, I know I'm going to have a great time. Except for possibly the humidity.

No comments: