Saturday, August 27, 2005

Just do what?

Jer's family is in town to see the dog show. And us. And also to get their computer back, which was undergoing some emergency format and reinstall surgery. At the same time their computer blew up, my parents' computer blue-screened. I suspect parental sabotage to keep us in the state.

In one month, I'll be in Kauai, and my official address will be in Seattle. That seems very far from where I am now. It's been six months since Lasik, and over a year since I started at this wacky company that's laying me off to consolidate itself geographically. One year ago, my kitten wasn't born yet. My sister's husband wasn't in Iraq. I hadn't flown in eight years -- since then I've been a passenger on 3 round trip flights, and 2 more are scheduled in the next month. My driver's side mirror was still broken, the car battery was on its last legs, I stacked my clothes on a flimsy kitchen rack, my computer was about to melt down, and Red Bull was in heavy rotation. One year ago, I didn't know I had hyperthyroidism. I didn't take pills every night. And I hadn't had a play produced.

If I were to give advice to future Christy one year from now, knowing what I know, it'd be: Have fun. Don't stress. No excuses.

Because my inner child is a Nike ad.

No comments: