Sunday, February 12, 2006

Ballard rhymes with mallard

I have a new friend who generously volunteered to walk me around Ballard so I could take lots of pictures of a statue for another friend. As I pranced around the statue insisting that it "show me sexy," we saw a boat hit a power line and knock a live wire to the ground. The boat was being pulled by a trailer down a major -- but deserted -- thoroughfare. The resulting crash was most impressive. I fought the urge ingrained by 9 months of photography school to race over, offer a business card, and make a half-assed attempt to get my photo in the paper. I fought the urge, and I won. My days as an ambulance chaser are officially done.

Historic Ballard is cute with lots of boutiques, artsy places, drinking places, and grungy places. Parking could be better. We looked at handmade pillows that cost $139. I don't think I would ever pay that much for a pillow -- unless I could wear it, eat it, or a famous person puked on it -- but they were still fun to look at. We also heard a guy say, "How many of have ever gotten high off Vitamin C?" I did not raise my hand.

This is why I don't write guidebook entries.

Below is a photo I took of the Shilshole Marina, which is apparently pronounced Shil-show, and not shils-hole like I kept calling it.

No comments: