Saturday, February 04, 2006

the light she burns

The wind is wreaking havoc outside and the local news reports devastating results. Although, if I look for myself it's business as usual, with a wee bit more whoo-ing and shoosh-ing through the cracks. Still, I should brace myself and live in fear. Live in fear! Or else.

It's just another Saturday night and I got no plans. The sun is up later these days and my sense of the diurnal is impaired. For example, it's 6pm and my brain tells me it's closer to 4. So I took an extended nap this afternoon and then neglected to perform my daily toilette. I am a scary unwashed person scavenging eggs and cheese from the refrigerator and resisting the temptation to eat my wedge of brie a day early. Because brie is clearly a super bowl food.

I've got my whole writing setup in the living room -- pub table, borrowed laptop and slat-backed pub chair -- overlooking the Seattle skyline and Elliott Bay. There's no excuse now. None. But I'll probably find some anyway. My first challenge is to write a short story inspired by the book of Shirley Jackson stories I just finished. If I were real hardcore I'd also give myself a deadline, but alas I am only the great pretender.

No comments: