Saturday, December 30, 2006

Yay, I'm home! I have my cats around me and my coffee and my laptop and I ordered myself some Le Creuset as a reward. I borrowed a book of chili recipes from my Mom and I can't wait to try some. I'm afraid I'm not adventurous enough to try the one with armadillo as an ingredient (9-banded works best), or the Lake Havasu coot (my research indicates is a type of bird -- no other coot will do) or the vegetarian chili whose first ingredient is ground beef. I am a boring cook.

It was good to see family, but it is really good to be home. It is good to use my shower, surrounded by my things. It is good that it is cold and the sky doesn't burn my eyes, and the smog doesn't burn my lungs. It is good to just sit here in silence and pet my cats and drink my coffee and Baileys and not have to be anywhere or do anything. Very good.

What can I tell you about our trip... We ate a lot. We drank a lot. You could say the theme was gluttony. I took some photos, and when I say some, I mean hundreds, but mostly of people you wouldn't be interested in. The best thing I ate in a restaurant was a chili tamale. A beef tamale drenched in chili and cheese. The best thing my dad cooked was fried chicken, the best thing my mom cooked was probably the carnitas or the eggnog cake, maybe the raspberry cake. Honorable mention goes to the prime rib at my Uncle's house, or the fish he caught in Cabo and smoked for the appetizer.

I got to see my cousins, which was cool, although at 10 and 11 they were flirting with Jer hardcore. They kept calling him Jer-Jer and asking him for his phone number. I thought it was hilarious. I offered to step aside so they could fight over him proper. He could do worse than my little cousins.

Most of the trip we spent indoors, watching television and expanding our waistlines. We also visited Jer's family and played with their dogs. They have a new French bulldog which liked to pose. Mostly though, we played with their cats. They gave their Persian a lion cut, which you just kinda have to see, and Jer was enlisted for computer repairs.

And that's pretty much that.

No comments: