Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Cherie Priest Reading at UW Bookstore


I left the house last night to meet friends and see author Cherie Priest read at the University of Washington Bookstore. She is best known for the steampunk tale, Boneshaker, but is fairly prolific, having written 11 novels and counting.

Some of you may remember Boneshaker was part of the recommended books list made up of friend and Moonshine reader suggestions.

Priest's reading was interesting and the Q&A portion entertaining. It was great to put a name with a face. I brought home a signed copy of The Steampunk Bible: An Illustrated Guide to the World of Imaginary Airships, Corsets and Goggles, Mad Scientists, and Strange Literature, and I'm looking forward to reading and admiring the art.

One slightly annoying discovery was that street parking around the University is now enforced between 8am and 8pm for a two hour maximum limit, which means more trips to the car to keep payment current. (It used to only go until 6pm) I get that they want to increase paid parking revenue, I just wish the limit was longer than two hours or I could renew from my phone since most events I attend at UW begin at 7pm and I usually arrive around 4:30 to shop or eat ahead of time, thus necessitating an extra trip to the car. I suppose I could just skip shopping and dinner and arrive after 6pm for events.

Probably not what the city had in mind though.

No comments: