Monday, September 19, 2011

Neal Stephenson Tonight

I have tickets to see Neal Stephenson tonight at Seattle Town Hall. He's promoting his new book, Reamde, and I'm excited to get to be there.

I mentioned in the August 3rd entry there have been incredible opportunities to attend readings this summer in Seattle.

Here are the author readings I've seen in the past few months:

Paul Park, Nancy Kress, L. Timmel Duchamp, Margo Lanagan, Minister Faust, Charles Stross, Neil Gaiman, George R.R. Martin, William Gibson, and C.S. Friedman. In May, I also saw/heard John Scalzi read.

And next week I'm planning to attend Cherie Priest's reading at the University of Washington Bookstore.

This town, and the people who set up these events, are amazing. (Those responsible by the way, seem to be Clarion West and/or the UW Bookstore.) Prior to this summer I had no idea events like these even existed. The more I explore our local SF/F community, the more I like what I see.

Speaking of amazing people: In the last post I mentioned the web sites of folks I met at Foolscap. One of the many I neglected was Elizabeth of NightshadeRose Studio Handcrafted Jewelry. Be sure to check out her wares. She won a blue ribbon for her work in the art show.

No comments: