Saturday, October 03, 2009

Wit and Wisdom

I have been reading "Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger" and it's exactly what I needed, except for the fact -- and I shouldn't admit this -- it keeps making me cry.

Those damn words.

Charles Munger is the silent partner in Berkshire-Hathaway, Warren Buffett's collaborator. He is brilliant and witty and ethical and proven.

Jer will wake up soon and he'll wonder why my eyes are all puffy. I couldn't tell you myself. I've been reading for about an hour and then I noticed I couldn't stop weeping. Not emotional tears; I don't feel anything except admiration. And I realize just broadcasting this sounds pretty strange. Probably, likely, I've been aimless lately. Reading a lot, thinking in circles, trying to find some semblance of a mentor. I had a great one before and I understand their value, but it's been a long time. I am still learning slowly, but a mentor is so good at offering guidance. It's like a psychic shortcut.

It's not just about shortcuts.

So in the absence of a corporeal mentor I am turning to books.

And a new box of tissues.

Hello, October.

No comments: