Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Recent Recipes I Tried and Liked

It's time to sum up some of the recipes I've been trying.

Jer's favorite was Skinny Slow Cooked Pernil from skinnytaste.com. This is a slow cooker recipe that yields quite a bit of shredded pork. I added more seasonings than the recipe called for when I shredded it - some cajun spice and garlic pepper and I increased the crushed garlic because I love garlic. Overall, the cut of meat was fairly inexpensive - $5 I think. The steps were easy and low in fat. The first night I served the pork with a side of Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice from the box, and some steamed vegetables.

I used the leftovers to make another of Gina's Skinny Recipes, Cuban Sandwich Quesadillas. I liked those. Jer said he only really tasted the mustard and pickle. Then the next night I used the pork as filling in enchiladas. I don't have a specific recipe for that.

From Cook's Illustrated Cover & Bake I made a Potato and Egg with Bacon and Cheddar casserole. Recipe is posted here. I served that at our D&D group and it was a big hit. As a bonus, it's gluten-free.

Tomorrow I'm making another "Cover & Bake" recipe that happens to be gluten-free: Country Style Pork with Beans and Sausage. Sounds good and it's another slow cooker one. Just need to start soaking the beans the night before.

Speaking of cookbooks, I was irritated I bought some WW cookbooks right before the plan change so the points values are out-of-date now. Instead of wallowing, I searched the WW site to see if any updates existed. Voila! For at least 2 of the 4 I have, you can download a PDF with updated PointsPlus values. The details are on the WW product info page.

Still a pain to write in all the new points, but better than tossing the book or using the Recipe Builder in eTools to do the conversion myself.

No comments: