Monday, February 27, 2012

Potlatch 21 in Review

I had a great time at Potlatch 21* this weekend, even if I find I'm now replaying some of the stupid things I said to people and kicking myself. Do you ever do this? Probably nobody cares, but like a broken record I keep hearing myself call a book by the wrong name or busting out some silly, irrelevant response because I've run out of things to say. Or mixing up million and billion (with regards to years) while talking to my friend, the climate scientist.

Just me, right?

Although I enjoyed many of the panels, I had the most fun listening to the Writer's Block panel. It reminded me I've been making life overly difficult for myself and that I should get back to writing a set number of pages each day. I've been slacking on producing new words, although this month has been much more productive than January. Let's stay on that trend.

To sum up: I really appreciated the hospitality suite at Potlatch. Having access to fresh coffee was a lifesaver--along with having a central space to chat with people, was awesome. The banquet featured tasty food and good company. And the volunteers who put the event together did a great job and made me feel really welcome as a first-time attendee.

I'm glad I had the chance to go.

*Potlatch is a small convention for readers and writers of speculative fiction.

No comments: