Friday, February 03, 2012

Submissions check-in

I sent off the first five pages of my WIP mid-yesterday, so that's good.

With regards to the dark fantasy story: I keep thinking about theme. I'm forcing myself not to touch it again until I hear back from the reviewers, but I already know I'll need to rewrite the ending, at least in part. It's missing something. It resolves story questions, but I feel like it could be so much stronger, if I could just figure out where it falls short. But I'm just too darned close to the material. I need to sit back and really think about what I want the reader to take away and then compare that to what the reviewers say.

It's frustrating to be this close, but I'll get there. It's about 90% of where it needs to be.

Today I'd like to play around with flash fiction. It's been a while since I wrote any.

I just realized I haven't listed out my January statistics yet. Two submissions, four rejections, and one publication. I've had more productive months, but it'll be worth it if I can polish up this last story.

No comments: