Saturday, June 02, 2012

A Story Included, A Lawn Mowed, A Convention Registered

I'm happy to share my story, "Taking the Wind," was included in a list of 134+ favorite stories, you can see here. Lots of great work listed and I'm honored to be included.

Yesterday I mowed the lawn and ripped out a bunch of ivy and weeds. When we moved into this house three years ago I thought gardening was cute. Now I'd be okay if the lawn didn't grown quite so fast, you know? We ordered a cordless Black & Decker Edger and Hedge Trimmer to help and I'm looking forward to getting those batteries fully charged and operating. My edges are a mess.

I also need to get rid of the dead potted plants on the deck. Maybe that will be my next project if I don't get distracted. Part of me assumed that once I owned a house I would be instantly good at all this homeowner stuff. Not so much. But I am dynamite at not having to move every three years like we used to every time the rent increased.

If you haven't seen yet, registration for the Bram Stokers Awards Weekend 2013 (incorporating the World Horror Convention) are now on sale at http://stokers2013.org. It'll take place June 13-16, 2013, at the Hotel Monteleone in New Orleans. And I just realized I've had drinks in the Carousel Bar there and it was fantastic. The barstools and counter slowly rotate around the center bartending area, until you're not sure if it's the strong drinks or the atmosphere that is making you dizzy. Magical!

Between the location and the announced guests of honor, I am super excited for next year's event.

6 comments:

Dan said...

Nobody likes messy edges. As a long-time apartment dweller, I'm jaded. My rent goes up and I just keep paying more. There is a limit to that, but luckily I haven't reached it yet.

Is it me, or are the words you need to type to prove you're not a robot getting harder and harder to read? Maybe the robots are getting smarter. When they take over you'll need to prove you are a robot to post. I give it 5, maybe 6 years. Everyone remember: Tic Tac Toe is the key!

Folly Blaine said...

Dan, I think you've made a smart decision with apartment-dwelling. If I could have stood it, I would have rented longer to save money.

I actually turned off the robot-proving comment test for a while and was so overloaded with spam emails from blogger I turned it back on. Annoying, but I guess it works.

DaveK said...

Congratulations on making your Write1Sub1 goal for May.

Write, edit, repeat.

Dave K

Anonymous said...

As the family member in charge of my folks' front and back yards for YEARS growing up, I don't miss the yardwork at all in my condo. And way to go on meeting your May W1S1 goals!

Folly Blaine said...

Thank you, Dave K and Milo! I'm glad to have the W1S1 goals to keep me motivated.

Devin Miller said...

The staff at my apartment complex woke me up early today weed-whacking outside my window . . . I hate yard work! But congrats on your W1S1 goals haha!