Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Changes and Total Immersion

I seem to be cursed with an inability to keep a primary care physician. No sooner do I get comfortable with one, she changes practices, moving beyond the veil of my insurance and/or reasonable travel distance.

I've just lost my third one in five years.

The second loss is still the reigning champion. The receptionist booked me for an annual exam without telling me the doctor had already given notice. I only found out at the end of the appointment, when I tried to schedule a follow-up.

It's exhausting to consider starting the process all over again. Filling out the reams of paperwork, trying to remember my childhood vaccinations... I'm glad I requested a copy of my last blood test results, just in case. Something to start with at least.

Anyway.

So I started playing World of Warcraft again because of a 10-day free trial. I pushed the start date back as late as I could, and then reactivated my account at the end of last week. I now have a level 25 Pandaren monk named Zhess, and I am spending a lot of time in Azeroth.

I've missed it. So much.

I've also decided it's time to finish reading Harry Potter. After books 1-4 came out I read them greedily. I read book 5 whenever it came out, but I just couldn't get into the story again. I'd forgotten too many details. So last year I began reading the books from the beginning, and with a few interruptions for conventions and vacations, I am now 1/4 of the way through the last book. (No spoilers, please.)

Between WoW and Harry Potter, 2013 has been a blur of immersion. But I'll finish reading the last book soon and my WoW tanks will be filled for a while. I'm counting on that. Meanwhile I am stumbling around on the 'eating better' resolution. For the most part I've been successful, but it is a tough habit to change without feeling resentful and deprived. Even when the deprivation is an illusion.

2 comments:

Dan said...

The doctor thing has happened to me a couple of times too but your situation seems extreme. It sucks. I've just stayed with UW Physicians so I can go to the Belltown clinic. The doctor I (would) see now is technically not a PCP since he only works one day a week.

Any job searching activities or are you able to still continue your "retirement"? Feel free not to answer publicly if you'd rather not.

Enjoy your Wow!

Folly Blaine said...

Hi Dan!

I haven't applied for any jobs yet. If you hear of any Technical Writer positions, I'm all ears, but the plan is to give it a few more months and then begin the real search.

-F