Thursday, December 09, 2004

Pizza and Wine Make for Good Times

As a belated and preemptive birthday present for BF and me, last night our friend treated us to a wine and pizza tasting. The chef from Pizza Mizza -- my FAVORITE pizza place -- served up choice slices from their entire pizza catalogue while the folks at East Beach Wine kept our glasses full (to the one inch line). A 2001 Sangiovese from Di Bruno was the group favorite.

I was starstruck to meet the Pizza Mizza chef. At one point I found myself gushing about how much I like his goat cheese, mushroom, and red pepper pizza. He asked if I had any ideas for new pizzas and after blushing and saying "I don't know. It's all so good the way it is," I said "Gee, well, I love brie. Maybe something with brie?" Then he told us about how he used to own a bakery in town and one of his most popular items was a lattice-work baked brie. So I said, "Mmm, make the pizza like that. Just a big slab of brie with dough all around it." He asked me my name, I told him, and he said they'd call it after me. They'd have to, since I'm the only one who'd eat it. We laughed and laughed. And no, it had nothing to do with the wine, thank you very much. Or did it...

And then suddenly and without warning, everybody was run over by a truck.

No comments: