Saturday, September 02, 2006

cheap books i bought

It was another warm, lazy day. I'm almost done with the ten-minute play I'm working on; I think I've figured out the last twist. Achieved closure with Yu-Gi-Oh vs the Pharoah, the best duel ever (says the promo) and chased the cats around with a brush. Jer thinks we might take to the road tomorrow and just approached me with printouts of possible activities. (He doesn't respect the laptop, but that's okay.)

Half-Price Books is having a Labor Day sale, 20% off everything, and we spent our time and money there this evening. I bought a couple Haruki Murakami books (Dance Dance Dance and South of the Border, West of the Sun), several tech writing texts, a book of 27 short plays by Christopher Durang, a few CDs including Sugarland and the Avenue Q soundtrack, a Lovecraft anthology featuring "The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath" and "Eats, Shoots, & Leaves," which I've been eyeing since it was released.

Last night Jer and I walked around the University of Washington campus. The experience left us feeling cheated because our alma mater pales in comparison. Words wouldn't do it justice; it's the most beautiful campus I've ever seen. We walked around with jaws hanging open, shaking our heads, "Is that another library?" "Look at all that ivy." "Wow, nice freakin' fountain." "Damn."

On the way to the campus we stopped at a used bookstore and I bought Paul Auster's "Moon Palace," Angela Carter's "Shaking a Leg: Collected Journalism and Writings," and Christopher Moore's "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal," which was on my list for about three years.

I love used bookstores. Love love love. Love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lizards.

Thats all for now.