Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Flippant

Traveling I made a friend, he had a trouble in his head
And all he could say's that he knew that the bottle
Drank the woman from his bed, from his bed
He said "I'm not gonna lose that way again."
But sober is just like driving, more joy, more dread, someone turns her head
And smiles and disappears
He's gotta take it like it is, and it goes too fast
And he is just like me, caught in-between, no sage advisor
Does weary mean wiser?
And someday will I sing the mountains that carried me away
away from home and hometown boys like you?
Travelling Again (Travelling I), Dar Williams

I'm going on a business trip, mid-August for training. The flight's been booked, rental car arranged, econo-hotel room reserved! This calls for a Yippee. As opposed to a Whoopie. Goldberg that is ...

For my office, I put together a string of lights with little origami boxes of pretty colored paper and run-on sentences. I have my plant. I have a tablecloth. I think the theme of my office is voodoo, but I can't be sure. I'll let the spirits decide.

I came home at lunch and worked out. Can you frelling believe it? No? I don't blame you. I think I've been body snatched. But wouldn't I know if I'd been body snatched? Or is that the rub? The garlic rub?

I choked on an Altoid this morning. This was B.C. Before Coffee. One moment I was talking, the next I was coughing and the burning, the burning was curiously strong. For the next two hours I had this acid reflux thing coming up my throat and making me gag. I drank two plastic water bottles, a coffee, a soda, and some other stuff. Okay, all right. I didn't choke, I inhaled it, and it got stuck, and I was sad. So sad. I thought, maybe this is a good idea I can market. Like air fresheners. Pay to have an Altoid permanently lodged in your esophagus, ah the scent of it!

Like, I don't know if you could totally tell. But I'm on a Dar Williams kick. If you've never heard "The Pointless, Yet Poignant, Crisis of a Co-ed" you should, man. Because it's awesome. Here's a snip, which is even shorter than a snippet:

I'm not a leader, i'm not a left-wing rhetoric mobilizing force of one,
But there was a time way back, many years ago in college, don't laugh,
But I thought I was a radical, I ran the hemp Liberation League with my boyfriend,
It was true love, with a common cause, and besides that, he was a Sagittarius.

No comments: