Monday, January 23, 2006

An Evening of Theatre

I admit, I have doubts about seeing the "The Wedding Singer: A New Musical." A musical based on an Adam Sandler movie (a period piece even) has the potential to be a dismal, soul-sucking couple of hours... but that didn't stop me from rushing out to buy tickets to its pre-Broadway engagement. The reason? Stephen Lynch is playing Robbie Hart, and I am a sucker for Stephen Lynch.

His voice mesmerizes. I think if we could hear the angels sing, they would sound a little something like Stephen Lynch. He's got a sound that lulls you into a trance-like state, and then once you've let your guard down, soaking up all the pretty harmonies, he hits you with the true spirit of his awesomeness. For example:

Here we are
Dear old friends
You and i drunk again
laughs have been had
tears have been shed
maybe the whisky has gone to my head
but if i were gay
i would give you my heart
and if i were gay
you'd be my work of art
and if i were gay
we would swim in romance
but im not gay
so get your hand out of my pants
If I Were Gay, Stephen Lynch

I highly recommend his other songs, "Special Ed," "Hermaphrodite," and "Jim Henson's Dead." You can find them all on his album, "A Little Bit Special." Not for the faint of heart, but a lot of fun.

And soon, oh yes soon, I will sit in row R and he shall serenade me with his pretty pretty singing. And I will be happy. And not once will I think of Adam Sandler or Drew Barrymore or Karma Karma Karma Chameleon. So there.

No comments: