Sunday, January 08, 2006

Fun at Parties

I walked to the beach this morning and bought a mocha and a slice of banana bread at Tully's before heading back. The Tully's plant you can see from the freeway used to be the Rainier Brewery. Maybe that's why I like their coffee so much, the lingering essence of beer. It was a cold walk, even with the sun out. The front of each leg turned red, actually burning from the wind. Is it possible to be partially frostbit? Because otherwise, I am the lamest power walker ever.

My nice and relaxing day ended with two Bloody Marys and Celebrity Fit Club 3. Everything is better with Absolut Peppar Vodka, I tell you what. I tried to write today. I did. I sat at my computer and opened Word. I typed in the date and that was that. Then I went in the living room, far from my computer, and read Robert McKee's "Story" for a little while, but I never got around to actually typing anything. Although now I can tell you more than you ever wanted to know about an inciting incident.

I'm sure that knowledge'll come in handy at parties.

I'm reading an excellent sci-fi novel called "Earth Abides" by George R. Stewart. It's making me think I should acquire some survivalist skills. Like blacksmithing. Or herb growing. Something really useful. When most everybody dies of the plague, nobody's going to want a lousy Technical Writer to start a new civilization with. (Ignore the grammar, I'm making a point.) I bet if I could milk a cow, then I'd be welcomed into the future with open arms. Or coax a hen to lay an egg. Then I'd be worth my weight in future gold. At the very least I should be able to use a Y shaped stick to locate underground wells.

But no. I had to learn how to use FrameMaker. If you need help setting your change bars, post apocalypse, I'll totally be there for you. Or indexing. I rule at indexing.

No comments: