Sunday, January 21, 2007

a dark and terrible secret

Now here's where I brag, and in the course of it, expose my shame to you fine people. I just bought myself a Le Creuset 9-1/2-Quart Oval French Oven, Blue. Well, not technically this one. The one I bought was from eBay.

This brings my total Le Creuset collection to the following:

I still covet a few items, such as the square skillet grill I have on back order and the tagine (which is better left coveted for now), but I can't wait to jump in and use everything. Unfortunately that means I have to learn how to cook at a higher level than Hot Pockets, Lean Cuisine, and spinach dip. To that end, as I quietly amass my collection of exciting and pretty blue cookware, I have also acquired a library of cookbooks ranging from easy to dangerous, as well as a sizeable backlog of "Good Eats" episodes. Here, I announce to you, that I will begin the arduous and painful journey of learning something new. Nay, embracing a wholly heretofore unrecognizable aspect of my character and accept the family legacy. I will cook. I will cook with my cookware. And it will be good.

I admit defeat, that free will is a sham, and the desire to stew and braise and sautee is encoded in the twisted fibers of my DNA, even as I fought it all those years, even as I lay down my apron and my spatula and deferred these skills to my sister, I secretly wished that *I* was the one roasting things and creating stock. But here I am, some subtle part, slowly and methodically purchasing the tools of my undoing. I wake to find a Salter digital food scale, a flour sifter, a food processor, even a rice cooker waiting patiently for me to rise to the challenge. Infecting my kitchen, like a chef's plague.

And here I am. Tricked into my birthright by a bunch of shiny, pretty things. Where will this madness end?

2 comments:

Lily said...

Fine, go ahead and brag. Make casseroles. Make soups. See what I care...just share. I'm coming for dinner!

Phil Plasma said...

My suspicion is that the madness will end once you start using all of your wonderful kitchen bits and pieces. Have fun!