Saturday, January 20, 2007

tired and one glove short

I'm glad glad glad the week is over. Don't get me wrong; it was fun. I learned a lot, I went places and did things I wouldn't normally do, but at the end I was tired. Tired and one glove short.

Along with the good things, there were some bad, like the morning I waited on the street, in the snow, for a bus that never came. (This is becoming a recurring theme which I could do without.) Although if you have to wait 45 minutes in the dark at 6:30am, you may as well do it when it's snowing since it can't be any prettier. Everything was white, my shoes crunched against the sidewalk, flakes clearly fell in the glare of the streetlights, and I stood there holding my umbrella and rubbed my hands together for warmth. Finally, I called my friend, who had given up on her bus already and was driving into work. She gave me a ride. But those 45 minutes will stay with me. The sound of snow hitting the umbrella, a different crunchier sound than rain, watching the cars fishtail down the street, or the lights of the city obscured by clouds, peeking in and out above the bay. Beautiful and cold, freezing actually, lights reflecting off the ground in an eerie yellow glow, and quiet.

I played darts, cricket, for the first time this week. And I won! I didn't even know I could hit a dartboard let alone get several bullseyes. Pool, I'm still not so good at, and bowling I love, but it's probably not my calling. I bowled a respectable 139, but in my salad days I could do better. In the before time, the long long long ago, I won hot dogs for my bowling victories. Maybe I was just missing that as an incentive and if I reintroduce that stimuli I will regain my ability to throw turkeys. Or maybe I just want a turkey hot dog for breakfast. The brain is a mysterious beast.

I'm not sure what the weekend holds. I may work from home, not sure I want to go in today. I may actually let Jer take me bookshelf shopping, or I might not do anything at all. The world is my turkey dog.

No comments: