Tuesday, June 30, 2009

All about food

I just got back from a marathon grocery trip, which is what happens when you never go to the store. Since it was 9pm they were rolling out flats of plastic wrapped boxes, stacking them high in front of the aisles, preparing to restock. On the plus side, it wasn't crowded.

For fourth of July I'm busting out my Best International Recipes cookbook and cooking a variety of Mexican dishes. Drunken beans, Mexican rice, street corn, guacamole, and two kinds of enchiladas, chicken and pork. Also a cheese dip thing with a poblano chili, once I find a poblano chili. That was the only un-success of my trip. The kitchen is full of onions, avocadoes, garlic, cilantro, and corn. It's almost like I know how to cook or something.

I'm also making margaritas and a pineapple/orange cake. Mmmm.

I should be sleeping; I have a 6am call tomorrow. Except I've chosen to watch House Hunters International instead. It's fun to dream.

My life these days is pretty much about work. Sometimes I read on the way to work. I went to happy hour last week with C Ro, which was a nice change. No news on the house.

4 comments:

Lily said...

Wish I could show up on your doorstep. That all sounds fabulous.

Folly Blaine said...

I sure hope it all turns out. I spent the last hour trying to coordinate cooking times. I may have been too ambitious.

Though if I approach cooking like my finances, then diversification is the key to overcoming any kitchen mishaps.

MommaJen said...

Pineapple/Orange cake? Sounds yummy! If it turns out well, you'll have to share the recipe.

Folly Blaine said...

MommaJen, you may have heard it by a different name, "Celebration Cake." I'm pretty sure it made it into the cookbook you put together, but if not I'd be happy to send it.