Wednesday, August 11, 2010

So this is WeightWatchers

Hopefully this post doesn't set me up for failure. But here it is. Best to get it out in the open.

Last week I joined WeightWatchers. Yesterday was my birthday as well as my second meeting, and I'm pleased to report I had a loss of 4.4 pounds. (Thanks to everyone who left comments in the previous post on healthy snacks. Very helpful.)

About six months ago I said to myself, "You have one more chance to get healthy on your own. If it doesn't work, you're doing something drastic." And, well, it didn't work. So here I am. I've never diligently followed a meal plan or a points system. Back when I had the personal trainer I kept a food log on fitday.com, but I was complacent about it. I figured if I exercised I was doing fine.

So this is all new to me. I'm very aware this new habit is fragile like a frightened little bunny. To keep me motivated I set up my camera on a self-timer and tripod for the customary "before" shots -- there's nothing like staring at your un-Photoshopped self to force your delusions firmly back into reality -- and I made those photos the desktop background on my home computer.

It's not all about vanity, it's also about health and the way I feel. (Squishy, by the way, is how I feel.)

And that's it, that's what I'm up to. I go to meetings. I abstract nutritional values into points. And I've admitted I have a problem -- though technically that's not part of this particular program.

Part of my "drastic" approach is public accountability, however this post more than any other makes me feel like I'm oversharing, so let's all just play it cool and see where this adventure takes us. Just one day at a time, Bonnie Franklin, one day at a time.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I love it! Thanks for blogging about WW and I do not think you are over sharing. I joined WW a few weeks ago and am happy to hear your comments. Acountability was one of the main reasons I joined as well. Kudos to you for public sharing!!
Karen

MommaJen said...

Congrats on making your health a priority! I hope the program gets you to your goal. :)

I haven't exercised regularly for three years. I'm hoping to start slowly as soon as baby #2 arrives.

To health!

Folly Blaine said...

Thank you for the comment, Karen and great work joining as well! I don't know why it feels so weird putting it out there when I share nearly everything else. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually. Good luck to you!

And thanks, MommaJen! I'm sure chasing A around is exercise enough and I have my fingers crossed we'll be hearing about baby #2 soon. :)