Tuesday, May 09, 2006

nudge nudge

Today is not about glamour. I didn't even bother with makeup.

Today is about staying awake until it's time to go to sleep again. Today is about not drinking. Today is about going to the gym at 6:30am after 1/2 price wine bottle night and retroactively wishing I understood the concept of restraint.

On Sunday I rode the water taxi downtown to see a great production of Pippin, was serenaded by a Mariachi band, rode the boat back across the bay, and then drove with Jer to see Regina Spektor at Chop Suey. She's a fantastic singer, but I couldn't get a good glimpse since she was sitting down and all of her fans are either very tall or have huge heads. (Where do I fit in?) I was hit on while standing at the bar attempting to catch the bartender's eye, however the lovely young woman who initiated the hit was not my type at all. I will say that I was flattered.

There was a blonde girl in a jean jacket who ruined the first few songs by pushing in front of me and wedging herself against my side where there was no room to wedge. I responded by clapping enthusiastically at everything, jamming her in the arm while I most assuredly did not budge. (Hey, I arrive two hours early for a spot and I do not budge for you. That's the rule.) She kept flashing me dirty looks over her denim shoulders until she finally grabbed her friend's hand in a huff and pushed deeper into the crowd to stand in front of other people who were not as steadfast in their footing as myself. Or as eager to jab her in the side with their elbows.

No comments: