Thursday, May 25, 2006

snap out of it

As I was leaving work last night I was overwhelmed by sleep. It struck me in my office, and followed me into the elevator, and out onto the street. Every step was a monumental effort. Couldn't I please just lie on the sidewalk for awhile? Couldn't I use my purse as a pillow for five minutes? What'd be the harm?

So I called Jer and asked him to pick me up. The bus was so very far away and I didn't want to wake up with my head on a stranger's shoulder. When we got home I slept for three hours.

I think I'm finally all slept out. But there are a thousand little things I need to do and I'm indulging my right not to do them. Maybe coffee will be my magic cure-all. All I know is the grocery store is the last place I want to go. Standing in the too bright aisles, listening to soft rock, and pushing past the elderly and the frazzled housewives. Sounds totally unappetizing.

We are out of everything. I can't even pretend that there's still that last box of pasta, because we ate it last weekend. With olive oil, salt and pepper, and garlic seasoning.

Let's give this coffee thing a try. I hear good things.

No comments: