Sunday, February 11, 2007

the bodies exhibition

Last Wednesday I went to Bodies... The Exhibition at 800 Pike Street. The exhibit was extended through the end of April, which means you still have a chance to see it yourself, plus it probably won't be too crowded since we're well into its run.

Now I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew there would be actual bodies posed in interesting ways, with and without skin, but I had no idea the level of artistry involved. It was reverent. You could see the amount of attention and skill that went into the exhibit, from each exposed specimen down to the words on placards next to the specimens.

I also indulged in the audio tour, which was well done and easier to follow than some of the printed descriptions. My mind has the tendency to wander when standing next to a statue that isn't a statue and I wanted to look closer but still learn about what I was looking at. The audio tour allowed me to do both. The audio tour also included a childrens' version as well as an adults' version.

My favorite room was the cardiovascular area, where they used a process called corrosion casting to insert a polymer into the veins and then dissolve the tissue around it. The result was true art. All that was left was the trail the blood followed, but it no longer looked like blood, just red flowers or ferns sprouting, and the way they were lit was amazing.

I came out of the Bodies Exhibition amazed and impressed by the human body. I think everyone with an interest should try to go. I've never seen anything like it.

Only one point in the exhibit did I feel faint and it was entirely self-induced. A sign on the wall said, "Now take a deep breath," before rounding a corner. I started to panic. What could possibly be on the other side of that wall that I need to take a breath for? What monstrosity? What abomination?

It was the respiratory room. And yes, I felt a little silly.

Another bit that stayed with me was the body that was cross-sectioned in the way that an MRI takes cross-sections. Each section was on its own glass plate, and the plates were spaced apart in order to create an impressive overall view of the human body.

One of the last rooms is the fetus room, but you're warned before you enter and given the opportunity to bypass it if it makes you uncomfortable. I found it fascinating.

With the coupon I paid about $25 for the ticket (including service charges and the $1 will call fee) and $6 for the audio tour, which was a phone shaped device you punch numbers into and hold to your ear. It took me about an hour and fifteen minutes to go through the whole thing and I read most of the descriptions and listened to all the audio.

This exhibit is a tremendous learning opportunity and I'm grateful I was able to see things I've only ever seen in books before. That alone was worth the price of admission.

No comments: