Sunday, February 04, 2007

happy superbowl sunday

Yesterday was mostly not productive. It started with a hangover and a lot of hours on the couch watching Groundhog Day and trying to feel human again, though mostly I just felt guilty for not going into work. I know I'm in the final stretch and I have a lot to do -- hell, it consumes every other thought -- but I just couldn't get it together. You could say I self-sabotaged for a day without FrameMaker.

Mid-day I grabbed forty winks (as my grandmother called it) and felt well enough to leave the house. So Jer and I went grocery shopping! I bought ingredients for making Paul Prudhomme's Cajun Meatloaf, fried chicken, and a beer/cheese dip. After putting all the groceries away, I took a brief break to watch an hour of Scrubs and then I -- with some prodding -- pulled down the cutting board and the fancy knife and trimmed bits of fat off the boneless skinless chicken breasts and then dumped all two pounds of chicken (sans fat) in a ziploc filled with buttermilk.

Also, yesterday, I attempted to clean my "new" Le Creuset square skillet grill with oven cleaner. It arrived in slightly worse condition than I expected -- seasoning is one thing but a random white circle smudge another -- and a lot of the gunk is coming off nicely. I'm on my third treatment with the oven cleaner.

I plan to grill slices of the cajun meatloaf when it's clean enough. I think it will be a flavor explosion or a taste sensation. Jury's still out.

Today is a big day; I have a lot planned. I need to crack open FrameMaker and log a couple of work hours, fry two pounds of chicken, bake a meatloaf, do a load of laundry, finish cleaning off the grill, and hang out at my friend's Superbowl party. I may even use my fry cooker for the first time ever, which was a gift two Christmases ago and I have been thwarted in all my attempts by constantly running out of vegetable oil. I usually just use the big heavy cast iron skillet I inherited from my grandparents. It uses far less oil.

So, food and work, work and food. At least today I am not hungover, however, it is definitely time for coffee.

P.S. Jer accepted a job offer in downtown Seattle. He starts February 20. Yay!

No comments: