Thursday, December 01, 2005

Christy's First Snow

Snow is falling from the sky. Right now, outside the window. Everywhere. I walked in it and man, is it ever cold. I’m going to need a scarf and maybe a knit hat of some kind. My water resistant jacket just doesn’t hold up to this kind of strain.

I should mention that I’ve never before seen snow falling from the sky. I’ve seen man made snow, and snow after it’s landed, but never like this. I’ve seen hail, dime sized chunks of ice hit the pavement and shatter, but this is different. This is graceful. This is like stepping inside a snow globe. This is lots of little points of white, like static on a tv screen, in an organized and frenzied dance and the music is gravity.

I’m many floors above the ground, looking out over the city and I see umbrellas and winter coats and Christmas lights. I see a little boy without his gloves grabbing at the sky. I see the sports bars and the dress shops and the workers in the other office buildings at their desks, staring back at me. It’s wild, this.

No comments: