Saturday, December 31, 2005

From December 26:

I'm listening to the "Chess" soundtrack. I'd almost forgotten how much I like it. I used to borrow soundtracks on cassette tape from the library, and listen to them over and over. This is one of those I never owned, but with a little nudging I can sing every lyric. Badly. It's actually best for everyone if I stick with lip-synching into a hair brush. In the library stacks I also discovered Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, and Patti LuPone's/Mandy Patinkin's Evita. These were the gateway drugs to Aspects of Love, Sunset Boulevard, and the Stephen Sondheim catalogue. Mmm, Assassins.

The music in "Chess" is a little dated, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it. I mean, come on, it's a musical... about chess. With a Cold War sub-plot!

I'm not sure why, but my fellow high school students never shared this exuberant passion for musicals.

Philistines.

"You and I
We've seen it all
Chasing our hearts' desire
But we go on pretending
Stories like ours
Have happy endings."
- Chess - You and I

No comments: