Sunday, April 08, 2007

more on food

Today was about cooking. I woke at 6am to feed the cats, take a shower, and go grocery shopping. Then I made a Shepherd's Pie with ground lamb and garlic mashed potatoes. Then I made guacamole, since avocados were so cheap at Costco and I had to use them up. Then I marinated some boneless skinless chicken in barbecue sauce and threw them on my Le Creuset grill. Somewhere in there I fell asleep for a half hour and when I woke up it was raining again.

That's the short version. Also, I discovered the wonders of beef base to make stock for the Shepherd's Pie. I am not proficient enough to make my own stock from scratch yet and this worked perfectly. I used the Shepherd's Pie recipe from the Joy of Cooking, only I added a bit of shredded cheese, garlic, and seasoned salt to give it more flavor. Last time I made it I thought it was bland.

We had the chicken breasts for dinner and after they were grilled I added some more barbecue sauce and a couple spoonfuls of guacamole on top. Very tasty.

No comments: