Thursday, July 16, 2009

money on my mind again

I just called my bank and they tracked down the paperwork I sent for authorizing money stuff. (How's that for specific?) They found it and are processing it now, they said, so I may not have to drive to Idaho and beg for my money after all. (Sorry Lily, no surprise visit.) I even got a super secret phone number to call when I'm ready so I can confirm receipt.

This grown-up stuff is tiring. And 65% tricky.

We also received word yesterday that the underwriters have approved their portion of the loan. Finally. No more letters of explanation about why our landlady didn't know our move-out date (3 months early), or copies of bank statements justifying our tax refund. I'm just thankful we've had such a great team of professionals helping us through this process. I understand the underwriters have to be careful and protect their investment; I just wish our jobs, financial history, and savings counted for a little more.

What else? More boxes should arrive from uline today. I'm working with an agent to get our new insurance policy set up. Next week is our motorcycle class.

In the evenings I've been sorting old paperwork for recycling or shredding and I came across my student loan statements from 2005. I owed $23,500 for photography school! That doesn't even seem real anymore. The interest rate was over seven percent and rising. And for what? I dropped out. Makes the pit of my stomach gurgle just thinking about it. I'm so happy I made paying that off a priority. Except now I'm flirting with the idea of going back to school at night... so it's good to be reminded how much that kind of debt can suck.

A lot of my entries are focused around buying things or wanting to buy things, but that is misleading. Jer and I lead a pretty frugal life. We've had the same cars for 8-10 years. We don't go on expensive vacations and neither of us work in industries where we have to wear fancy clothes. We have a couple of hobbies we splurge on from time to time and we eat out more than we should, and that's about it.

When I do find something online I want to buy, I bookmark it in a folder called, "Things to buy if I had money." Usually that's enough to deal with the immediate urge and if I still want it later I can save for it. Or ask for it for Christmas.

There is so much going on right now. I can't wait to be on the other side of it all.

2 comments:

Lily said...

Are you sure no surprise visit? I have new guest towels...how's that for a draw?

Folly Blaine said...

Ohhhh, tempting. Unfortunately we are visiting the seller today instead. And Jer wants me to pack for some reason. I don't know, that man is full of crazy ideas.