Sunday, June 06, 2004

Break on Through!!!

The first draft of "Must" is done. It only took seven hours to stitch together. Only.

I e-mailed it to the workshop instructor and I'll meet with her tomorrow for some feedback.

Now to start "Clancy in a Cage."

As for reading books by Christopher Moore, I checked out "Coyote Blue" from the library. The first chapter takes place on State Street which makes it a fun read. Especially in a game called Spot the Landmarks.

If anyone is interested in reading an early draft of "Must" or "Moss" I'd be happy to oblige. Here's a disclaimer for interested parties: it's morbid.

To reward my fried brain we ate Mexican food and watched "Arsenic & Old Lace." Speaking of morbid ... it's a film that really stands the test of time in the little-old-lady-murderer genre.

I had an incredibly vivid dream this morning. There is a bookstore in Los Angeles which only hardcore book lovers know about. I find out about it one night and go inside. There is a cozy room to the left with armchairs and a lit fireplace. Decorated in earth tones, few books. To the right is a dark staircase, certain portions cordoned off with rope.

My eyes have a hard time adjusting between extreme light and dark, so in the dream I'm feeling my way up the staircase until I come to an open area. I walk through a door and out into a valley. I know the valley is a work of art. I can sort of see the matte background and the fake trees. But it's beautiful and peaceful walking there, passing others who are also in-the-know. The valley gives way to a street scene, and I know we are weaving in and out of the cityscape between the secret world and the real world. I see a vending machine and since I'm thirsty, I go up to it. Two free beers pop out and I resume walking, a beer in each hand.

About this point in the dream I am aware LA has been invaded by samurai warriors. The warriors are destroying the bookstore and chasing everyone outside, where they are butchered. As I am running through the manmade valley, I try to take a few pictures, but the digital camera is too slow and I lose the opportunity. The warriors are on my tail. I feel a deep sadness that what I am seeing will be burned and there will be no record of its beauty.

I meet up with the manager of the bookstore -- she/he has keys to all the doors -- and I run alongside, following the cement joints. Others join us as we run. She opens a door to a conference room and our group goes inside to hide. The walls are thick and it will be hard for the warriors to stage an offensive. It makes sense in the dream. I also remember there are others outside the door who don't make it inside. We know they are going to die, but if we open the doors again, we'll die too. We huddle together, listening to them being slaughtered, wondering where our food and water will come from.

And that's it for today. I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the present, but it's so damn persistent.

No comments: