Sunday, January 16, 2005

Music Tames the Savage Beast

I don't want to be responsible. I don't want to go to the grocery store or start the laundry or use the turkey sausage to make dinner. I don't want to write page 2 of my ten-minute play or clean up the papers the kitten knocked over. I just want to sit here, quietly, and listen to k.d. lang sing "Hallelujah."

I walked on the beach for an hour this afternoon. It was a beautiful day. Sunny and clear, the tide was out, further than I've ever seen. Couples and families strolled along, some clutched babies, some teased dogs, mostly heads down, eyes on the sand. I found a pretty shell. It was brown and orange, faded, but a perfect curl. I tossed it in the waves, like a sacrifice.

I enjoyed "Closer." I was especially impressed by Clive Owens and Natalie Portman -- just like most of the reviewers. So no new information for you there.

To get my k.d. lang live fix I bought Hymns of the 49th Parallel and Live by Request. These CDs are the soundtrack to my weekend. And soon, they'll be the soundtrack to my feeding the cats. Crazy cat ladies have to do things like that or they cease to be cat ladies and end up just being crazy -- that's how eccentric turns to ugly, dontcha know.

No comments: