Friday, April 14, 2006

birder for hire

I'm watching a gaggle of Canada Geese with their goslings, 7 cute little things, waddling around across the street. It'll be hazardous walking down that particular sidewalk for the next few days. At least until the rain washes the shit into the bay.

On the subject of birds, I've never paid them special attention, but there's one kind that makes me stop and watch everytime. It's called Barrow's Goldeneye (thank you internets) and at first I thought it was some sort of puffin, but that only goes to show how little I know about birds. They have a very distinctive white pattern on their black wings, and a slash of white across their face. They're not very big and they swim in the water in groups, floating almost in place. Whenever I walk past on the way to Alki, I stop and watch. They're very striking. Although not as striking as the two bald eagles with their nest in a tree across the street... I guess there may be room for birding in my life after all. I'm always game for hobbies that involve binoculars.

In other news, it's been far too long since I've mentioned that I love being a technical writer, though it'd be even better if it somehow incorporated binoculars.

No comments: