Monday, April 10, 2006

One of the marches for illegal immigrants' rights went through downtown Seattle tonight. I saw it from the gym, second floor, sweaty and tired, and my heart flipped a little. People, mobs, elbow to elbow, sidewalk to sidewalk, streaming down 2nd Avenue. Traffic was stopped, the police presence was strong, cops everywhere with their flashing lights and motorcycles. It was amazing. And the splinter students and freelance historians along the edges with their cameras and lightweight tripods shooting long. Signs. Flags. Hecho en Mexico.

Last night I saw Stephen Schwartz at the 5th Avenue Theatre. It was one of the highlights of my life that I heard him sing "Corner of the Sky" and play the piano. It was an incredible evening. I sat there, stunned. It's been so long since the theatre moved me. Since I felt like, this is where I need to be, this is what I need to be doing. I felt it last night. You could say that something stirred, something sleeping. And of all the places in the world I could have been, that was the right place.

I went with a silky lavender skirt with black trim, black short-sleeved top, nylons, camel coat, high heels, makeup, and hairspray. In case you were wondering. And the merlot. Definitely the merlot.

No comments: