Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Home stretch of 50,000 words

I'm in the home stretch of NaNoWriMo and should be done writing my 50,000 words on Wednesday. My progress has been consistent. I've only skipped a day or two in the month, and then gotten back to speed fairly quickly.

This is the most fiction I've ever written in 30 days, so in that regard NaNoWriMo has been a success. But it wasn't until yesterday I began to see another direction the plot could go, a better direction. Did I need to write 46,700 words before that option made itself available? Or did I just need to sit back and brainstorm a couple of days first?

I will have failed NaNoWriMo in the sense that I end the month with a completed novel. Sure, I can (and will) tack on a cheesy ending, but that doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the thing. However it is always good practice to produce. I've proved to myself I can write 2,000 words at a time, even when those words are very bad. And with time, perhaps the percentage of bad words will dwindle and I will be left with a much stronger result.

Crawl before you walk, and all that.

In addition, I've managed to submit five stories this month and receive five rejections, so with previous subs I have a total of seven out now.

I'm thrilled with those numbers.

This month, while writing 50,000 words, I have also rewritten two short stories and made progress on a brand new one. So overall the month has been a success.

An interesting psychological side effect is I don't feel like I've accomplished anything, which is partly why I keep posting my progress here. Having not completed a new work this month, I feel incredibly slothful, and I need to remind myself that's not true. Heck, submitting five stories in a month is one of my all-time best numbers. I guess I just need to reexamine my perspective on success.

No comments: