Friday, November 18, 2011

Panic for nothing, NaNo marches on

I either slept through the snow or it passed us by. The thermometer says it's 36 degrees and I see no lingering signs of moisture, so I guess we'll just chalk this one up to: We needed to buy groceries anyway.

Today is Jer's last day of vacation. I expect we won't be doing anything crazy. I have more words to write and he has more games to play. Sometime later we'll meet up to watch TV and discuss our various past-times. Perhaps share some of our groceries. It's nice having him here.

I'm treating my NaNoWriMo novel kind of unconventionally. Today I should be hitting 30,000 words, but I'll admit not all of them are story. Lately I've been needing to break off the narrative to figure out some plot problems and that mainly involves me talking to myself. I have these cool flashes of scenes in my head, but I'm not sure how they all hook together yet. I know my main character and I know her friend, but the villain has been a mystery. I'm not sure if I should have two POVs or one, so I'm playing with the villain's voice now. Since I don't exactly know the story I want to tell, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to tell it.

It's weird to be confident in a story when I don't even know what it is yet. I just know there's something there. I just have to be smart enough to see it.

Oh, and I don't understand how to write a compelling sub-plot yet. I should get on that.

No comments: