Monday, November 07, 2011

My classroom-y weekend


The weekend was for learning. Saturday morning I went to my novel writing class at Bellevue College and on Sunday I went to an all-day workshop taught by the inestimable Nancy Kress. (Check out her how-to write book, Beginnings, Middles & Ends. I can't recommend this book enough.)

I hope I didn't come across as too much of a fan girl, it's just that Beginnings, Middles, & Ends was one of the first writing books I ever read that gave me tangible advice on craft and I loved it. The Natalie Goldbergs, Anne Lamotts, and Julia Camerons are all well and good, but I wanted a bit more substance and I found it in the Elements of Fiction Writing series. I was just so grateful for the opportunity to be in a Nancy Kress workshop and receive personalized feedback on my scene. She's an incredible teacher and if you ever have the chance to attend one of her workshops or classes, I urge you to do so.

Okay, I also couldn't resist asking her to sign my copy of Steal Across the Sky while I was there. She was very gracious about my excitement and I appreciate that.

Have I gushed enough yet? Don't want to scare you away. I promise my normal cynical self will resume shortly.

No comments: