Thursday, December 01, 2011

Dialing down the Folly

I spent all morning writing and rewriting a biographical essay (for this thing, no big deal, what?) and at noon I sent it off to Jer with the note: tell me if I sound too cocky or crazy or both.

By comparison, my college essay, which is the last essay I took this seriously started with the line, "Hubris is going to be my downfall."

I cringe every time I remember, but you know, it got me into college so...

After spending all that time working on something that isn't even fiction, I posted the following on Twitter:

Someone wrote that being a writer is like having homework for the rest of your life. I disagree in that I never worked so hard at homework.

Apparently that struck a chord because it's been retweeted like 12 times, and I find that so incredibly cool.

We're in December now which means it is my friend Gina's birthday. So before I go: Happy Birthday to my friend, my former roommate and ex-co-worker, Miss Gina!

3 comments:

E.M. Jeanmougin said...

Haha. That's actually pretty clever. If I had seen that, I'd have retweeted it too.

Also, so true.

Folly Blaine said...

Thanks! By the end of the day it was retweeted over 20 times, which blows my mind. I had no idea it would resonate with anybody else. Twitter is awesome.

Lily said...

I was going to post a comment on the 1st, but only had my iPod so couldn't. I will now:

Look at you and the birthday shout-out. Oh my, I said shout-out. I think kudos are in order for you for 50,000 words. Fifty thousand. F.i.f.t.y. t.h.o.u.s.a.n.d. Amazing. (Jury's still out on whether I can get away with the word kudos).