Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

I sort of celebrate Christmas. Our presents are stacked on the pub table, still in their beige Amazon boxes. We didn't bother with a tree mostly because I didn't feel like doing all the work. And I'm drinking my favorite German beer in honor of Christmas Eve: Marzen, Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer. It tastes like smokey goodness.

Jer's disappeared upstairs to play video games, so I'm here with the internet, a sleeping cat, and an untapped capacity for evil.

Er. Holiday spirit.

I submitted a story today. I wrote the first draft in September and since then I've added another 500 words and reworked it considerably. It was one of those stories where my first readers gave me feedback like: Yeah, but what's the point? Okay. So now there's a point; I aim to please. I'll find out in a month if my attempt at pleasure paid off.

My horror story continues to be a monster in itself. The first draft is now at 5,600 words, which is about 30 double-spaced pages. At least I think the end is in sight now, or it better be. But not until it's finished can I attack it with a scalpel and a sander, as is fitting. Buzz whir boom click.

So if you celebrate Christmas, I hope you have a good one. If you celebrate another holiday, I wish you equal amounts of cheer and near beer and/or jolly fun times.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Merry Christmas, Folly Blaine. I personally celebrate Bunker-Down-And-Get-Through-To-January-Mas. I'll have to figure out what the traditions of that holiday are. Right now I'm off to watch Dexter, because nothing says Christmas like an avenging serial killer.

Anonymous said...

er, holiday spirit is right. cheap whiskey and pricey beer is on the help of my tale of St. Nicholas. a cheers to you extra 500 words

anthony e

Folly Blaine said...

Thanks, Dan and Anthony.

Six minutes into Christmas morning and I have already been playing Rock Band for two hours. The math doesn't add up, so clearly I have stumbled into some kind of time warp.

Beer is good.