Friday, October 21, 2005

A Night Out

Tonight Jer and I drove to the University district, saw "MirrorMask," ate dinner at Chipotle, and browsed the aisles of a used bookstore. It's not something we can make a habit of doing these days, but it was good. I bought two paperbacks, a Harlan Ellison and a Philip K. Dick.

I'd recommend "MirrorMask," but it did have flaws. Without giving anything away, I thought the pacing was slow and the plot could be tighter. Overall it's a beautiful film, but I wanted it to make more sense. I wanted it to work within the structure of its own reality, and by that I mean, I wanted scenes to relate with purpose, and not just be metaphor for the sake of metaphor -- even if the metaphors are artfully done.

I wrote more today. I'm working on a five-minute play and a short story, each for different contests. They're very different in form and content, and if I get bored with one, I switch to the other. And when I'm not doing that, I watch TLC's "What Not to Wear." It's an obsession.

I am so lucky to live here. Sometimes it doesn't seem real. I keep expecting to wake up.

No comments: