Monday, October 10, 2005

On the Other Side of Planning

My eyes are blurry from editing photos all morning. I also applied for a couple of jobs and watched a Doris Day / James Garner movie on AMC. It was a comedy about bigamy. I couldn't look away.

It's so nice to not be on vacation. My cats survived the cattery, although they're thicker about the middle, and nobody tried to escape. I'm drinking good coffee and enjoying not having to be anywhere or see anything or take any pictures. Don't get me wrong, it was a good trip. I just felt rushed all the time, and after two months of constant planning and action to get through the move and the layoff and prepare for the trip, the last thing I wanted to do was race across a tropical island. Or even two tropical islands.

But we're finally here. On the other side of planning. Now all that's left is to find a job and maybe buy Jer a desk. It's an exciting time.

One of my favorite moments of the trip happened 10,000 feet above sea level, standing in the Haleakala Caldera. As I snapped picture after picture, waiting for the clouds to pass and show the valley, Jer's family hiked down the red dirt trail and disappeared behind a wall of white. I stood there, framing and snapping, listening to wind and silence overlap. The guidebook said we were in a sacred space, and I wanted to stay longer, but I knew the group was losing patience with me and my camera and so I turned and hurried down the trail. By then, the others were reduced to dark and distant shapes moving through the fog.

No comments: