Wednesday, October 12, 2005

"Thank you for being a friend..."

It's a dangerous morning; I watched "The Golden Girls."

The last time I was unemployed I watched a lot of "Golden Girls." I even had a schedule. Wake up late and watch tv, take a break to eat, watch more tv, maybe sit in front of a computer and hammer out some crap... pretend I had writer's block... heat up a tv dinner and stare out the window. Oh, and apply for work, if I felt like it. Faced with all the free time, I wasn't prepared for the constant low-grade depression. I knew I was in a rut and that I needed to get out of the rut, but I just didn't care. That's where "The Golden Girls" came in.

I have two of their autographs: Betty White and Estelle Getty. The others never wrote me back. It's something I did in elementary school, send out a lot of autograph requests to sitcom stars. I got a signed Carol Burnett photo and an 8x10 of Jim Henson surrounded by muppets. And then there was the Mr. Belvedere. His was a postcard signed in thick blank ink. It smeared in transit and you could barely read it, but it was nice of his assistant to send it.

Anyway, I need to fight the Golden Girls. That's the lesson.

Yesterday was crisp. Visibility was good, the air was chilly, no rain, clear. The leaves are changing. It feels like fall. We've been searching for an affordable wireless bridge, but so far no luck.

Yesterday I applied for another job, filled prescriptions (no insurance, ouch), went grocery shopping, picked up the held mail, paid bills, stopped by the library for Register to Vote forms, called my mom... I'm doing okay. Things are happening. No reason to let Lifetime get me down. I'm probably just experiencing caffeine deprivation. Stay busy, Christy. It'll pass.

No comments: