Sunday, June 01, 2008

War, Inc. and Ezell's Chicken

It's the best kind of Sunday. Gray and cool and lazy. I've got an afghan wrapped around my shoulders, and I'm drinking a can of Diet Dr. Pepper at my desk.

Oh, there are chores. I need to edit and post 3 pictures to the photoblog and do many loads of laundry, but right now I haven't yet wasted the day watching bad tv, there are many hours before I need to be presentable again, and it feels like anything is possible.

In weird coincidence news, after 2 months of total inactivity I sold 2 items in 2 days on half.com: a Diana Ross & the Supremes double CD and a copy of Neverwinter Nights for the PC. No sir, I don't see a connection -- unless you count the number two.

We watched "The Apartment" on Friday night and it was very good. It was interesting to see a large office without computers or cubicles and of course, Shirley MacLaine and Jack Lemmon were incredible to watch. I haven't seen nearly enough Billy Wilder films. KCTS has this habit of showing great films without commercials late at night on the weekends, and that's how I also saw "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" for the first time. (Yeah, yeah. My film knowledge is poor. I somehow missed them all the first time around.)

Yesterday Jer and I got takeout from Ezell's Chicken. A lot of food, very tasty. We bought a family deal that included spicy fried chicken, baked beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, and added on 2 slices of sweet potato pie. Not particularly healthy, but worth it for the occasional splurge. We borrowed a friend's advanced copy of "War, Inc." starring John Cusack, Marisa Tomei, and Hilary Duff (and Ben Kingsley and Joan Cusack and Dan Aykroyd) and that was our evening. The movie is smart and entertaining, in the tradition of the "Wag the Dog" genre of war/comedy. Only this one is more overtly mocking, I think. I liked it well enough.

And now it's time for PhotoShop.

2 comments:

Lily said...

That's odd, I just watched a Gene Tierney movie.

Folly Blaine said...

After I watched that movie I looked her up on Wikipedia. I hadn't known about her history of mental illness -- not that I would have a reason to, but 27 shock treatments seems extreme...