Sunday, September 07, 2008

2 days, 0 human interaction

I haven't left the house in 2 days. It's been fantastic. I did some laundry, I watched a lot of "House," caught up with my parents, cleaned a bit but not enough, and worked on a 10-minute play. With the exception of 2 phone calls to Jer and 1 to my parents, I haven't spoken to another human in over 48 hours. I could really get into this lifestyle. Too bad writing is so hard.

Oh wait. Writing is my day job. It's different though. Creative versus technical. With creative you pick threads out of the air. With technical you get the whole sweater to unravel. And sometimes you have to make diagrams. There's that.

I would just like to point out randomly, for no reason whatsoever, that writers have editors. Editing is a different skill set. But generally, in the business world, if you're employed as a writer then you're also expected to be your own editor. And so I spend most of my time writing a paragraph, deleting every other word, starting again, and I very rarely let myself hang loose like I do here. It is such a relief not to cross out every other word for clarity. Not to refer to a style guide and figure out if it's a menu or a combo box or a drop down so I can be consistent. (Or a delightful sentence fragment.)

But hey, I earn a living doing what I love to do and that's pretty awesome. Even if sometimes it sucks out all the joy by being pedanticly precise. It's still way better than answering phones.

No comments: