Sunday, March 01, 2009

Risk averse or risk tolerant? Ask me again in a year

Since December 2007 I've been keeping track of my net worth at networthiq.com. As you might expect, at first this was very motivating, but as the following graph shows -- numbers removed -- my experiences in these markets have been pretty typical (up up up DOWN slowwww up SLIDINNNNG DOWN...)

After saving and investing a good chunk of our paychecks every month, we are now in exactly the same place we were one year ago. My retirement savings is also approximately half of what it was, but at least I have time to weather that. It's sort of mind boggling, and I've done my best to ignore it because otherwise it's a crazy making activity.

I've stuck with dollar cost averaging into the markets and saving in an FDIC insured account, so it could be worse. I acknowledge Jer and I have been incredibly fortunate... and yet, I think it's safe to say that doing everything right and having nothing to show for it (or less to show for it) sucks.

I will just have to concentrate on being grateful for what we have and not to dwell on the rest. But that's, as always, easier said than done.

No comments: