Friday, October 22, 2004

But how do you really feel?

Mycarisbetterthanxforasking. $470 better.

Today I've got a doctor's appointment. I plan to show the doctor my neck and solicit his opinion. See, lumps in one's neck are never a good sign. Especially lumps that appear immediately after beginning a new pill regimen. I imagine it's just a lymph node thing. But then I'd rather seek professional help and not just rely on my extensive google search skills.

I've never been deathly ill or broken a bone. I have no experience with this aspect of adult-ness. These repeated trips to the doctor and drawing of blood and poking and prodding are -- even though well intended -- driving me crazy.

And then it's over and in the mail I get "This is not a bill" receipts from my insurance provider telling me I owe $700 for an x-ray and an ultrasound. So I call them and they say, your doctor didn't fax us this form. So I call my doctor and they say we never got that form. So I call the insurance company and they say, "Our computers are down, we'll fax the form later." And all the while I've got more of these "This is not a bill" receipts arriving and ruining my lunch.

Sure, health care is great -- if you're well enough to play the game. God forbid you come down with a serious illness. God forbid you get cancer of the x and it costs $1800 a month to buy pills.

If this is what it's like to be healthy, I never want to get sick.

No comments: