Saturday, October 02, 2004

O for a Muse of Fire...

I did a thing. The thing I did, I did it thrice. And now I sit, flushed and happy, lungs lined with dust, arms aching...

Yesterday commenced the thirtieth annual Planned Parenthood Book Sale at the Earl Warren Showgrounds. First I went at lunch, then after dinner, and then just now. I've adopted seventy-seven books thus far. I'm out of control, but not without a plan. For the rest of the year -- the part of the year that is Not Book Sale Time -- I compile a book wishlist in Excel. I strikethrough text to signify the acquisition of said books. The list has grown to three pages. It gives me such a sense of accomplishment to find these books. Today I'm most pleased I found Alan Lightman's "Einstein's Dreams " and Italo Calvino's "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler." Both books have been on my list for some time. Yesterday's prize was William Gibson's "The Seesaw Log."

While I was crawling under tables to sort through covered boxes, a young woman called her friend on a cell phone. She said quietly, "You really should get here. It's a book lover's paradise." My strategy is not to tell anyone until after my first visit. Less competition.

Right. If you find yourself in the Santa Barbara area, 10am-8pm, October 1 - 10, I highly recommend atttending this book sale.

No comments: