Thursday, October 07, 2004

A Sixty Minute Do-Over

The hour between 2 and 3 is my personal Dead Zone. Time slows, stops, stutters, then creeps along, so that nothing is accomplished. If I worked from home this hour would be better known as NapTime. Yet another good reason not to work from home.

I'm trying to write a chapter on a feature with lots of tiny threads into other features. This morning I got three sentences down. But hey, they're frelling awesome sentences. Clear as mud.

I forgot about an upcoming playwriting deadline. Last night I dusted off an old file and reworked parts of a ten-minute play that is submissable. I'll get it out on Saturday, because damn, I actually have to take it to the post office and not just click a button. Oh for the love of analog...

For fun (not profit) I used iTunes to download a song. It's not the most user-friendly system. Here's why: to get an mp3 (which works on my frontierlabs mp3 player) you have to burn songs to a CD then rip them; it's not easy (maybe not possible) to share a song I bought on one computer with another computer not on the same subnet (even though you have to log in and it must store a record of your purchases somewhere); their help files suck, not search-friendly; did I mention the mp3 thing? I'll wait until an album gets cheap and buy it on half.com -- at least until selling used CD's is outlawed... Or, you know, I'll keep checking out CD's from the library and ripping them for my own personal use.

I don't mind paying for singles, I really don't. But at least give me what I want without jumping through hoops. And make the price reasonable. Ninety-nine cents plus tax still seems high when you're not getting any media to go along with it. At least iTunes isn't like Napster. On Napster you have to pay a monthly subscription fee AND then pay for individual songs and albums. Sucks to be Napster's business model.

No comments: