Sunday, March 11, 2007

the battery conundrum

I managed to do my taxes, donate blood, and go to the gym three times last week. I think that sets the bar fairly high for next week; I anticipate a downward spiral.

I've been reading Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking," and learning all about milk -- why it curdles, what's in it, how it becomes ice cream -- and that pretty much covers my spare time, except for when I'm drunk blogging.

I did some research online for places that take recyclables in King County -- in particular I want to recycle alkaline batteries -- and found a couple of interesting database sites. The first is at King County Solid Waste Division and the second is at WA State Department of Ecology. In both cases you can search a database of drop-off sites for specific items.

I have to say however, I was surprised to read, "Alkaline batteries can be placed in the trash." Maybe so, but the guilt would probably melt my brain. It just doesn't seem right. So unless you can tell the comments where I can take my collection of used batteries (not rechargeable), I see myself making a special Saturday trip to 3RTechnology, which seems to be one of the few or only places that advertises it will accept them. I remember Fry's and Staples accept toner cartridges, but I just can't remember if they accept batteries.

So there it is. That's my life today: batteries and milk. Two great tastes that can kill you when mixed together.

1 comment:

KikiRiki said...

You can also take the to Ikea and make a day of it. Last time I was there I noticed a bin for your spent batteries right by the front door.